This document has been prepared to help provide you with information about Chemical Peels, its risks, and alternative treatments. It is important that you read this information carefully and completely.
Chemical peels are a mainstay in the cosmetic practitioner’s armamentarium because they can be used to treat some skin disorders and can provide an aesthetic benefit. In addition, chemical peel treatments may be readily combined with other resurfacing and skin rejuvenation treatments, often providing synergistic treatment and more flexibility in the tailoring of treatments to specific patient needs and conditions. At NoviSkin, we pride ourselves on offering our patients very specialised chemical peel treatments, unique to the patient’s skin condition.
Peels available at NoviSkin
- NeoStrata® Chemical Peels
® NeoStrata Skin Rejuvenation Chemical Peels
® NeoStrata Skin Rejuvenation Chemical Peels are glycolic acid peel treatments specific for skin renewal. During this process, a high concentration of glycolic acid is applied to the skin for a short period of time (between 2 and never longer than 7 minutes per session) and then chemically neutralised to end the treatment. This procedure rapidly removes the dead and damaged layer of surface skin cells revealing fresh skin and stimulating cell rebuilding and restructuring of deeper skin layers. This procedure can help the skin to appear smoother, healthier, plumper and tighter, giving you that natural glow back.
Benefits of Glycolic Acid Peels (AHA)
Normalize keratinization process making the skin more:
- Smooth stratum corneum
- Prevents clogged pores
- Stimulates the process of epidermal cell renewal
- Return to a more youthful state
- Reduction of appearance fine lines and wrinkles
- Humectant properties
- Reveal naturally moisturised cells
- Reduce dryness
- Reducing scaling
- Reduces visual symptoms of photo aging
- Reduction in pore size
- Pigmentation irregularities
- Reduces black heads
- Improves surface texture
- Helping with superficial acne scars
- Photo damage
- Improves collagen and elastin fibres
- Photo damage
- Pigment changes
- Dull sallow appearance
- Unhealthy condition of stratum corneum
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Pigmented skin
- UV induced hyper-pigmentation
- Post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation
- Acne scarring
- Post pregnancy pigmentation
VITA C Peel:
- Sensitive patient
- Allergic to AHA’s and/or PHA’s
- Mild peel
- Safe in pregnancy
CR (Chronic Redness) Peel:
- Red sensitivity
- UV induced Telangiectasia
Given that chemical peel treatments can treat many indications, please discuss alternative skin rejuvenation treatments specific to your aesthetic needs. Some alternative chemical peel treatments can include:
- Fraxel Laser Rejuvenation 2+, 4+ or 8+
- PRP Therapy (which we refer to as Vampire Facial)
- CO2 Laser Treatment
- Botulinum Toxin Filler
- Candela Vbeam® Laser
It is advised that you do not undergo chemical peel treatments should you be affected by any of these contra-indications:
- Atopic skin reactions / eczema
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis
- A history of pigmentation disorders (too much or too little colour on parts of your skin)
- Recent anti-coagulant therapy or circulation disorders
- Collagen disease / auto-immune disease
- Viral infections (including herpes simplex)
- Hypertrophic or keloidal scarring
- Cryotherapy/cryosurgery within past 6months
- Any oral or topical retinoid use within the past 6 months (Roaccutane, retinoidA, hydroquinone)
Risks / Side Effects
Please find below a list of common side effects and risks of chemical peels. For a more comprehensive list and explanation, please refer to the consent form and discuss this with your NoviSkin doctor.
- Limited visible exfoliation, the resurfacing is occurring at cellular level
- Slight redness which will resolve in 24 hours
- Mild erythema in certain cases also resolve in 24 hours
- Frosting in certain cases – this is not a complication, just a reaction to the peel and will resolve after 1 week
- Scabs may occur in certain sensitive areas (around the eye), it is important to note that you should not remove, pick or scratch off the scabs.
- Burning, sensitivity will resolve within 7 days
- Rare complication is scarring or hyper-pigmentation – might occur if post procedure protocol was not followed
- The skin may feel dry or tight for about 5 to 7 days after the peel depending on the strength of the peel
Mechanism of Action
Chemical peels are classified by the depth of action into superficial, medium and deep peels. The depth of the peel is correlated with clinical changes, with the greatest change achieved by deep chemical peel treatments. However, the depth is also associated with longer healing times and the potential for complications.
Chemical peels are used to create an injury of a specific skin depth with the goal of stimulating new skin growth and improving surface texture and appearance. The exfoliating effect of chemical peels stimulates new epidermal growth and collagen with more evenly distributed melanin.
Post Care Instructions
To promote healing you should:
- Apply NeoStrata® Bionic Face Cream, Post Resurfacing Cream, or Nutraderm Cream (all available for purchase at NoviSkin).
- Avoid AHA products until the skin returns to normal.
- Please avoid the application of make-up for the first 24 hours, the use of Lycogel Foundation is one of few exceptions that may be used (available for purchase at NoviSkin).
- After each treatment, your skin is clean and fresh, by applying make-up (ie: foundation), you risk irritating your skin, prolonging the healing time and possibly other unforeseen complications.
- For the first week after your treatment, no exfoliators are to be used and thereafter, only gentle exfoliators are recommended.
- Avoid sun exposure and solartariums (such as sunbeds, tan-cans, etc) until the skin returns to normal.
- A sunblock with a minimum SPF 30 should be used at all times and reapplied during the course of the day.
Until your skin return to normal, you should not:
- Peel the skin
- Pick the skin
- Scrape the skin
- Scratch the skin
- Exfoliate the skin
- Wear tight head bands, hats etc.
- Expose the skin to sun or sun lamps
- Use a mask or exfoliator