Dr Marianne Duvenage
MBChB MMed (Derm) Pret
Advanced Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine
Dermatologist (PR No. 1201182)
I was born in 1958 in Potchefstroom, the daughter of a university lecturer father and a teacher mother.
I was elected as Head Girl at Menlo Park High School, Pretoria, where I completed Grade 12 with 6 distinctions in 1976. My dedication to my studies was rewarded when I was awarded the Ernest Oppenheimer Memorial Trust Scholarship to study medicine at The University of Pretoria.
In 1983 I completed my MBChB degree. In 1989 I received my MMed (Derm) (Pret) degree, thus qualifying as a specialist dermatologist. I took over a large and busy dermatology practice in 1990.
Believing in a healthy lifestyle and knowing the importance of making time for oneself, I have a wide variety of interests and activities. These include:
- Played the cello in Betty Pack’s Youth Orchestra for many years
- Playing the piano is the best escape ever
- I climbed Kilimanjaro (Uhuru peak – the highest peak in Africa) and cycled the 104km Argus Cycle Race
- I successfully walked around Mont Blanc, traversing France, Italy and Switzerland in the “Tour du Mont Blanc” in July 2008.
- I am an enthusiastic golfer
- I have completed numerous 101km ultra-walks
History, affiliations and programmes involvement
- Holder of the coveted “Ernest Oppenheimer Memorial Trust Bursary” from 1977 to 1983
- MBChB: University of Pretoria, 1983
- MMed (Derm) (Pret) 1989; Studied under the mentorship of Prof G H Findlay
- Registered Specialist Dermatologist with the HPCSA, membership no MP 0027325
- Solo private medical practice established in 1990
- Founder member: Little Company of Mary Skin and Laser Clinic in 1998.
- Board of Directors: Little Company of Mary Skin and Laser Clinic from 1998 to 2009
- Joint winner: Best presentation: Annual SA Dermatology Conference 1998.
- Convener of the “Journal Club of the Pretoria Dermatologists” from 1998 to 2010.
- Member of the Dermatology Society of South Africa since 1989
- Member of the Board of Directors of SpesNet until 2005. SpesNet is a large, multidisciplinary organization, representing specialists of all disciplines in medicine.
- Organizing committee member of the annual conference held by the Dermatology Society of South Africa held at Sun City, April 2005.
- Member of the South African Society for Dermatology Surgeons since its inception in 2008
- Member of the Aesthetics and Anti-aging Medicine Society of South Africa since 2008
- Exco member of the Aesthetics and Anti-aging Medicine Society of South Africa from 2009 to 2016.
- Invited speaker at the South African Society for Dermatology Surgeons conference in 2009.
- Invited speaker at the Aesthetic Medicine Congress of South Africa in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015.
- Invited speaker at the World Congress of Aesthetic Medicine held in Cape Town in February 2013.
- In 2012 I completed the Advanced Diploma in Aesthetic Medicine through the Foundation for Professional Development, a subsidiary of the South African Medical Association.
- In 2015 I completed the online training of the Functional Medicine University.
- In 2017 and 2018: Attended the South African Society for Integrative Medicine congresses
- In 2018 I attended the Advanced Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice 5 day Congress in Washington DC, hosted by the Institute for Functional Medicine.
- In 2019: Attended the meeting of the Melanoma World Society in Cape Town
Special dermatology interests
- Restoring health to diseased skin using the Functional Medicine model
- Whole skin check-ups for moles and skin cancers
- Photo Dynamic Therapy to treat widespread, superficial skin cancer
- Anti-ageing treatments pertaining to the skin
- Skin rejuvenation with Fraxel laser and Pulsed Dye Laser
- Skin rejuvenation with Photomodulation and chemical peels
- Treatment of acne scarring
- Treatment of skin cancer
- Treatment of sun damage and age spots
- Laser vein treatment
- Treating wrinkles with Botulinium toxin
- Facial Sculpting with fillers
- Chemical peels and specialized facials
- Cosmeceutical products and their role in anti-aging