May explain many of the following conditions that may affect young woman.
- Increasing early menstrual cycle
- Increasing ovarian failure
- Fibrocystic breasts
- Fibroid uterus
- Hormone sensitive cancers
- Perimenopausal women especially at risk as progesterone typically declines faster than estrogen
Noviskin doctor’s objectives are:
- Insight into how estrogen and its dominance fits into the clinical picture
- Questionnaire and history taking is done to pull out symptoms that are typical in estrogen dominance
- Reveal a detailed insight as to the relationship between estrogen, cortisol and thyroid
Few symptoms characteristic of E2 dominance
- Irritability and mood swings
- Irregular periods
- Heavy periods
- Water retention
- Short term memory loss
- Weight gain
- Sugar cravings
- Breast swelling
- Fibrocystic breasts
- Post partum depression
Systemic effects of E2 dominance:
Estrogen is elevated amounts puts a block on weight loss by decreasing insulin sensitivity causing hypometabolism. Cortisol is the rate-limiting hormone for estrogen i.e. when estrogen increases this stimulates an inflammatory response which increases cortisol levels in the body. Increased levels of cortisol bind sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) including TBG (thyroid binding globulin). This reaction causes decreased metabolism, decreased energy, decreased heat production and decreased weight loss.
Most common causes of estrogen dominance are
- DNA snips that cause decrease elimination of estrogen hence DNA testing are of paramount importance and now performed at the practice.
- Sleep deprivation has proven to decrease testosterone resulting in an increase cortisol and hence increase in estrogen.
- Deficiency in Zn magnesium due to a poor diet.
- Increasing intake of xenoestrogens like cashews, nuts, almonds, soya and apples.
- Poor lifestyle choices i.e. cigarette smoking
- Medical conditions such as hypothyroidism
- Correct DNA snips and eliminates estrogen safely from the body.
- Correct progesterone and testosterone levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- A common error is giving the patient a birth control pill which often makes the problem worse later.