This document has been prepared to help provide inform you about our Skin Lightening treatments (Hyperpigmentation Treatments). It is important that you read this information carefully and completely.
Skin Lightening Treatments
Hyperpigmentation is a medical term to describe dark patches on the skin and uneven skin tone. These patches are the result of excess melanin production and is usually a harmless condition. This condition usually exists when there is an excess of melanin, causing the formation of deposits in the skin. Hyperpigmentation can affect people at all ages and any skin type. However, some forms of Hyperpigmentation are more prone to affect sun exposed areas of the body like the face, arms and legs. Other forms can affect any area of the body where the person had inflammation or injury.
At NoviSkin, we pride ourselves on offering our patients specialised hyperpigmentation treatments, more commonly known as skin lightening treatments or skin whitening treatments. All our treatments are individual and unique to the patient’s skin condition.
Common Types of Hyperpigmentation
- Sunspots – These are from frequent sun exposure and ageing that makes skin appear uneven. These spots are mostly seen on sun exposed areas like the Face, Arms and Legs. They tend to be small, darkened patches of skin.
- Melasma – Dark patches related to changes in hormone levels but largely related to sun exposure. These patches are known for showing on the face. Pregnancy, or woman that take birth control pills are more likely to develop this type of pigmentation, as they often trigger an excess amount of melanin.
- Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation – Dark spots left by injury (cuts and burns) or any inflammatory skin condition for example acne and lupus.
Laser Skin Lightening Treatments
Laser Peel (skin resurfacing) – The use of targeted light beams to treat Hyperpigmentation. Skin Lightening Treatments can either be Ablative (Removing layers of the skin) or Non-ablative (Targets the dermis to promote collagen growth).
Skin Whitening Treatments offered by Noviskin include:
- Candela Vbeam Laser
- Fraxel Laser Rejuvenation
- Chemical Peels
Alternatives to Hyperpigmentation Treatments
Please consult all treatments with your doctor. A few alternatives to skin lightening treatments / skin bleaching treatments can be seen below.
- Prevention – The best cure is always prevention. Pigmentation and sun damage should be prevented with vigilant sun protection such as applying broad-spectrum sunscreen. Picking at the skin should be avoided.
- Skin lightening treatment cream – Skin Bleaching Treatments can include prescription creams that work by slowing the melanin production, causing the dark spots to slowly fade to normal skin coloration. These creams often include hydroquinone as a primary ingredient.
- Cosmetic Peels – Peeling of the skin epidermis (